This has just the right combinations of flavors for a fantastic
fall soup. Created by Donna Wiehofen, a nutritionist at the
University of Wisconsin Hospital & Clinics.
- 1/2 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 large onions, chopped
- 4 cups fat-free chicken broth
- 1 medium fresh pear, cored, peeled, and cubed
- 1 large potato, peeled and cubed
- 4 cups cubed fresh butternut squash (2 pounds)*
- 1/8 teaspoon white pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon ground thyme
- 3 tablespoons 3 Monkeys Sweet Spicy Mustard**
- 1/2 cup fat-free half & half or evaporated milk
- 2 tablespoons sherry
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup fat-free sour cream
- 2 tablespoon orange liqueur or orange juice
- 1 teaspoon honey
In a large saucepan, heat oil. Add onions and cook until onions are translucent. Add broth, pear, potato, and squash. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for 30 – 40 minutes or until potatoes, pears, and squash are very tender. Add white pepper, ground thyme, mustard, half & half, and sherry. Using a hand held immersion blender, blend soup to the desired consistency. Add salt, pepper and extra mustard, if desired, to taste. Add additional broth if soup is too thick. Heat through.
For optional topping, combine all topping ingredients. Place in plastic squeeze bottle. When ready to serve soup, squeeze a swirl design on top of each bowl of soup.
*Frozen mashed squash can be substituted for the fresh squash.
** You can also use Slimm & Nunne Sweeet & Nicely Hot Mustard.